Chandigarh: Chef suffers burns as cooker explodes in school lunch kitchen

The chef in the lunchtime kitchen at Government Model Senior Secondary School (GMSSS), Sector 10, suffered burns to his face after a cooker exploded early Thursday morning.

According to reports, the chef, Roop Ram, had noticed the increasing pressure in the cooker as the rajma chawal was being prepared for the children at around 5 a.m.

Anticipating an accident, he attempted to remove the cooker from the kitchen to avoid injuring staff. However, the cooker exploded in the meantime, causing burns to her face. Another aide suffered leg burns, which were treated on the spot, while Ram was taken to the Government Multi-Specialty Hospital (GMSH), Sector 16 and then referred to PGIMER.

Doctors confirmed that he was fine and stable, and his eyes had not suffered any damage.

The police were called to the scene, while the education department organized meals for children from other schools.

commissioned survey

Director of School Education (DSE), Harsuhinder Pal Singh Brar, said: “Fortunately, no staff or students suffered serious injuries. We have instituted an investigative inquiry, the report of which will be prepared by Monday.

Brar said he visited the school and inspected the kitchen, where the cooker was ISI branded and of adequate quality. “The next course of action will be decided after the preparation of the investigation report,” he added.