PARSIPPANY, NJ, June 15, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Mead Johnson today received confirmation of import clearance through a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Discretionary Enforcement Letter to import equivalent 66 million 8-ounce servings of Reckitt’s Tuas Basic Infant Formula Powder, Singaporeinstallation by November.
Reckitt will work closely with administration and the Fly Formula operation to ensure the formula reaches families as quickly as possible. This additional supply would represent the largest contribution ever made by a manufacturer to solving the persistent shortage of infant formula in United States.
pat slypresident of Reckitt’s nutrition business, applauded the FDA for its approval decision that will allow Reckitt to feed more than 130,000 additional babies per month, on average.
“We appreciate the Administration’s actions and commitment to ensuring the high standards of infant formula safety and quality in United States. We are grateful for the support of the government, our supply chain partners and our employees around the world, who have stepped up to enable us to take all possible measures to end this shortage as soon as possible. FDA import clearance, along with the Defense Production Act, is helping us dramatically increase our supply to help more formulas reach store shelves and parents who need them. »
Today’s announcement will allow Reckitt to complete the final stage of preparing the product for the US market and we will:
- Supplying 190 metric tons of infant formula base powder from our Tuas plant to Singapore which will be mixed and packaged in the United States. That would equate to 5.9 million 8oz servings, which we expect will be available in the coming weeks.
- Prioritize the channels available to parents who are eligible for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) and who are among the most vulnerable to this shortage.
- Supply 500 metric tons per month by October through Tuas facility. That would be the equivalent of 15.5 million 8-ounce servings.
To date, our ongoing efforts to increase access to infant formula include:
- Keep our factories running 24/7
- Rationalization of our product portfolio to maximize production capacity
- Work with United States government on securing additional manufacturing inputs and unlocking additional capabilities from our Delicias, Mexico ease
- Partner with retailers to expedite orders and trucks and prioritize formula in their fulfillment centers to fill shelves faster.
- Ship the product as soon as we have verified the quality and safety necessary to meet the high standards of the only source of nutrition
- Feeding 211,000 more babies than before the shortage
Reckitt* exists to protect, heal and nurture in the relentless pursuit of a cleaner, healthier world. We believe that access to the highest quality hygiene, well-being and food is a right and not a privilege.
Reckitt is the company behind some of the world’s most recognizable and trusted consumer hygiene, health and nutrition brands including Air Wick, Calgon, Cillit Bang, Clearasil, Dettol, Durex, Enfamil, Finish, Gaviscon, Harpic, Lysol, Mortein, Mucinex, Nurofen, Nutramigen, Strepsils, Vanish, Veet, Woolite and more. Every day over 20 million Reckitt products are purchased worldwide. We always put consumers and people first, seek out new opportunities, strive for excellence in everything we do, and build shared success with all of our partners. We aim to do the right thing, always. We are a diverse global team of over 43,000 colleagues. We draw on our collective energy to meet our ambitions for committed brands, a healthier planet and a fairer society. Learn more or contact us at www.reckitt.com
About Mead Johnson Nutrition:
Mead Johnson Nutrition was acquired by Reckitt in 2017, merging both companies’ commitments to innovation and science to continue fueling advancements in pediatric nutrition. Today, the nutrition industry continues to drive innovation from its Evansville, IN site and is trusted by parents and healthcare professionals worldwide to support the development of minds and bodies. We are committed to ensuring that every mom and every baby has a healthy start.
Enfamil’s full line of products is formulated to provide optimal nutrition for infants and children at every stage of their development. Their dedication to science and innovation remains vital to both their product portfolio and their mission using cutting-edge technologies, a highly specialized team and expert collaborations to benefit pediatric populations around the world. Today, the Enfamil brand is trusted by parents and healthcare professionals for their passion for innovation and delivering high quality products.
* Reckitt is the trading name of the Reckitt Benckiser group of companies